Daniil Medvedev has not given up hope of playing at Wimbledon this summer. After questioning the legitimacy of the All England club’s “dishonest” stance. World No. 2 has broken his silence over the toxic spat nearby the club’s decision to block the Russians and Belarusians from the tournament over the invasion of Ukraine. Wimbledon 2022 fans can buy Wimbledon Tickets from our website.
Medvedev said in comments from the Russian state-affiliated news agency TASS: “On the one hand. I can understand it, and on the other, I don’t think it’s fair.
“It is a subtle situation because it sets a precedent and puts other sports at a disadvantage. Where is the line? What rules would lead to possible exclusions? We are tennis players and are treated legally as a result of discussions with the ATP workers.
“But at the moment, self-employed Russians in the UK have the right to work. So if I get the chance to play at Wimbledon, I’ll be happy. If not, I’ll take it.”
Medvedev expressed his hope that the AELTC would change things up at a media conference ahead of this week’s Geneva Open, saying: “I don’t know if the decision is 100 per cent over. If I can play, I’ll be happy to “I play in Wenzhou. Bourdain played. I like this tournament. If I can’t play, well, if I get a chance to play. I’ll try to play other games and be ready for next year.”
The general feeling in the locker room was sympathetic to Medvedev.
Last week, the ATP Players Council which includes two of the sport’s biggest names, Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal – recommended the removal of ranking points for Wimbledon, Queen, and Eastbourne in retaliation for the British ban.
But it seems unlikely that the players’ suggestions will be followed. The ATP released a statement Monday criticizing the ban but did not impose any harsh sanctions.
“This season’s ATP Tour events in Queens and Eastbourne will continue as normal and will provide full ATP ranking points,” the statement said, before adding. “The decision to ban Russian and Belarusian athletes conflicts with the ATP rules and harms the ability of the players. Anyone of any nationality can compete on the basis of merit and without discrimination. That is a fundamental principle of the ATP Tour.”
The LTA will almost certainly be fined for violating the Tour rules. Although the amount of the fine has yet to be determined. In theory, it is also possible that the Wimbledon ranking points will expire. The ATP’s response to the AELTC is not expected until later this week. But their chances of making a strong entrance now seem to be shrinking. Wimbledon 2022 fans can buy Wimbledon Mens Final Tickets from our website.
“If Touré drops the ranking points at Wimbledon, they will be ‘self-defeating’”.
Tim Henman told The Telegraph Sport on Monday that the tours would be “disgraceful”. If the ranking points offered by Wimbledon were removed or reduced.
“I mean, it’s hard for the other 95 per cent (not for Russians or Belarusians), isn’t it?” added Henman, who will lead Eurosport’s game against the upcoming French Open from Sunday.”
When asked how serious the situation was for Wimbledon, Henman replied: “I don’t think it’s the worst in the world. Don’t get me wrong, if those points were there I would love it more. But given the status of the event, the history, and all that goes with it, and of course. The amount of prize money on offer does not detract from the players who are 100% committed to winning.
“The downside,” Henman added, “is when you get a breakthrough story. When someone qualifies and makes the second week, they won’t get the ranking benefits. And I think that would be very sad.”
Daniil Medvedev breaks Wimbledon’s silence on the split result to ban Russian players
Amid the ongoing war in Ukraine, the All England Tennis Club bans all Russian and Belarusian tennis players from Wimbledon this summer. Daniil Medvedev has vowed to play at Wimbledon this summer. If the “troublesome” situation of lifting the Russian and Belarus ban is lifted.
Daniil Medvedev admits he can understand why Wimbledon has banned Russian tennis players from the tournament this year. But he still doesn’t think it’s fair.
The All England Lawn Tennis Club (AELTC), which runs Wimbledon, sparked controversy last month when it announced that Russian and Belarusian players would be banned from the tournament this year following the invasion of Ukraine.
AELTC chairman Ian Hewitt claimed the organization had “no viable option” to implement. The blanket ban was criticized by the Tennis Professionals Association (ATP) and the Women’s Tennis Association.
During the war in Ukraine, players from both countries were allowed to continue playing in ATP and WTA events. But their flags were banned under the neutral flag. Last month, however, the All England Tennis Club went one step further. Wimbledon 2022 fans can buy Wimbledon 2022 Tickets from our website.
In a forcefully worded statement, they confirmed a complete ban on any country from participating. Saying: “In this context of unreasonable and unprecedented military aggression. The Russian regime has nothing to gain from Russia or Russia’s involvement. It is unacceptable. Belarusian players in the tournament.”
The decision proved divisive, with many current players siding with the suspended players. Novak Djokovic was one of the first to come forward arguing that the player was unfairly punished.
Russian player Andrey Rublev denounced the “illogical” decision. He thinks Wimbledon bosses would do well to donate the prize money he and his compatriots won to Ukraine.
The measure would take the tournament away from one of Medvedev’s biggest male stars, who briefly became the world No. 1 in 2022. While he never made it past the top 16 on SW19. He is expected to rise to the challenge this time after winning his first major at the U.S. Opened last September.
He recently recovered from hernia surgery and will try to play in the French Open this month. But admits he can’t help the Wimbledon saga.
“I’m trying to focus on what’s going on because I don’t have any it’s about Wimbledon itself. The ATP, maybe the British government is involved,” he told reporters.
“It’s a tricky situation, like in any situation in life. You ask 100 players and everyone will have a different opinion. When you show a tennis ball to 100 people, I’m sure there are among them. Some would say it’s green instead of yellow. I think it’s yellow. [But] if someone told me it’s green, I wouldn’t conflict with that person.”
The 26-year-old Medvedev promised to play if the decision was overturned. Admitting he had no idea whether the verdict was final: “I don’t know if the decision is 100 per cent over,” he continued.
“If I can play, I’ll love to play at Wimbledon. I love the game. If I can’t play – well. I’ll try to play other games, and if I’m good enough, I’ll play for next year. Make you ready.” There is a chance to play.
Medvedev’s best performance in the tournament was last year when he reached the last 16. There he lost a rain-stricken clash with Polish player Hubert Hurkacz.
The All England Club remains challenging despite mounting criticism and its chances of improving the situation appear slim. Despite the threat of legal action and the possibility of losing the tournament rankings.